I am not looking forward to 2018. I don’t mean in my personal life. Aside from the inexorable march of time (old age is not for sissies), my personal situation is excellent.
I mean my civic life, the life of my country. I see nothing good ahead. So in order to get through 2018, I have decided to simply lower my expectations.
I merely hope:
- our current president will not embarrass me more than once a day
- our current Congress will not sell more than half our national parks
- at least a few DREAMERS will be left in America
- some of the states will see to it that children formerly covered by CHIP will not die after the program does
- Obamacare will survive, even if barely
- The wall will be a moderate failure
- Some of Trump’s people will be convicted
- We will find some inspiring Democrats
If you think it’s just me who is expecting a bumpy ride in 2018, read SFGate’s 100 Questions That Will Define 2018. See anything cheerful or positive there?
And if you think I’m being overly pessimistic, take a look at this.
Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan both agreed today on Fox news that the food stamp program needs to come to an end.
Once I have lowered my expectations, where do I go? Do I await a Mueller Miracle? Do I seek a Democratic savior? Do I simply resist?
Or like Candide, do I tend my own garden?
Candide, as he was returning home, made profound reflections on the Turk’s discourse. “This good old man,” said he to Pangloss and Martin, “appears to me to have chosen for himself a lot much preferable to that of the six kings with whom we had the honor to sup.” … “Neither need you tell me,” said Candide, “that we must take care of our garden.” “You are in the right,” said Pangloss; “for when man was put into the garden of Eden, it was with an intent to dress it: and this proves that man was not born to be idle.” “Work then without disputing,” said Martin; “it is the only way to render life supportable.”
Perhaps Michael Balter has THE shirt for 2018. Laughter may be the best revenge.
I’m having a senior moment. Who gifted me this shirt in the last 6 months? My daughter swears it wasn’t her. https://twitter.com/mbalter/status/945398337586462721/photo/1