By Bobby M.
Scanning the news so you don’t have to, so if you missed anything from August 4th – 6th, this recap will catch you up on everything that happened during that period. Not everything will have a hyperlink, so if you would like more information, please highlight and google it.
The big story for this past weekend was the UN Security Council voting unanimously to increases sanctions on North Korea due to their missile testing. When things like this happen, usually China (North Korea’s biggest partner) and/or Russia use their veto power to block things like this. But both countries decided to vote with the rest of the world due to the seriousness of the matter. The other big story for the weekend involved Vice President Mike Pence taking steps towards a 2020 presidential run. Soon after the report, he attacked the news, but given his setting up a SuperPAC, discussions with the Koch brothers, and the investigations into Trump, that attack was just lip service.
The rest of what is listed below may have been harder to hear details about…
- The US Military aircraft crash off the coast of Australia led to the loss of three marines
- The worst heatwave in years across all of Europe is leaving the entire population there unsettled
- Heavy rains across Louisiana have led to flooding throughout New Orleans
- Domestic terrorists set off a bomb at a Muslim mosque in Minnesota
- Venezuelan authorities quelled an attack on a military base by soldiers and armed civilians in a dramatic escalation of unrest due to the political upheaval there
- After his recent retirement announcement, track and field legend Usain Bolt lost his final race of his career at the World Championships in London, England
- Running backs LaDainian Tomlinson and Terrell Davis, quarterback Kurt Warner, defensive end Jason Taylor, safety Kenny Easley, kicker Morten Andersen, and the Cowboys owner Jerry Jones were all inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame
- “Game of Thrones” fans were left buzzing after another Stark family reunion and seeing the Targaryen dragons in action that led to Jaime Lannister’s fate being left in question
- The city of Chicago says it plans to file a lawsuit against the US Justice Department over its stance against ‘Sanctuary Cities’
- Benjamin Netanyahu’s position as prime minister in Israel is in trouble due to his connection to government corruption
- Speaking of Israel, artists in the West Bank have painted sprawling murals to troll Donald Trump
- Fox News host Eric Bolling has been suspended due to sexual harassment allegations
- Special investigator Robert Mueller requested the White House get them all documents relating to fired NSA Mike Flynn as part of the case being looked into against the Trump campaign and administration