By Terri Sloan
Today we learn some Classification Terms and Methodology by which we may accurately decipher and interpret what is called ‘The News’ in modern society.
Liberal, or Far Left, Media
Always promoting the spending of everyone’s money to save someone or something. Avoid.
Alt Right, or Far Right, Media
Wall builders. Always trying to get rid of someone or something. Avoid.
Yes, Fox News has its own category. Avoid.
Come across something completely unbelievable? Then it probably isn’t true. Avoid, avoid.
Editorials, Talk Radio, and Bloggers
Opinions of individual persons. Avoidance is not necessary, but common sense is.
Same as above only in 140 character bites. Do not avoid, but approach with caution.
Lots of uninformed people passing along misinformation. Avoid. Permanently deactivate your account.
Main Stream Media or ‘MSM’
Official news agencies with actual reporters. Looking over this list, you will quickly come to believe that MSM is probably the most reliable and accurate source. Well, you’re right. It probably is. Do not avoid.
- Read more than one news source, preferably 2-3 MSM sources. Compare the stories. Do they conflict? Check more sources. Go to snopes.com and verify. Google.
- If the news supports your biases, move on. If you cannot with confidence consider the story accurate, put a pin in it. Do not repeat it. Do not share it as a Facebook post.
- Listen for tone. Are the words emotional, sarcastic? Then the news is biased and opinion based.
- If the news contains inflammatory speech, move on.
2. (especially of speech or writing) arousing or intended to arouse angry or violent feelings.
synonyms: provocative, incendiary, inflaming, inciting, agitating, stirring, rousing,
provoking, fomenting, rabble-rousing, seditious, subversive, mutinous
Do. Your. Research. Just because something supports your position doesn’t make it right. Open your mind to other positions, try to find the truth in the story, and lead others in their quest for truth. Do the right thing, even if no one else does.