Marine General James Mad Dog Mattis is the absolute right choice for Secretary of Defense. Here’s why:
- He is the best of the very best. Not only is he one of the few, the proud, the Marines, He is THE Marine. A self-proclaimed bachelor, he married himself to his duty, to his country and to his beloved Marine Corps.
- He is an intelligent, thinking strategist and knows war…and peace. He is a tactical genius and understands the opposition in any battle. He is tried and true with forty-one years of military service and commands in Desert Storm and troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- He is concerned with humankind but never veers from his objective and his duty: to protect the United States of America. To Iraqi military leaders, shortly after the second Iraq war began, he said, “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f–k with me, I’ll kill you all.”
- He is respected by military leaders, politicians, and military members of all ranks and services. He is outspoken and blunt but honest. Make no mistake, he is a tough Marine and uses tough language, but his words are well thought out and backed by his vast knowledge and clear common sense. He understands the Everyman and patriotism on a level most cannot. His respect has been well-earned.
- Finally, and most importantly, he has the ability to command. He is an undeniable force and can manage vast armies, yes, but maybe even more crucial is that he has the ability to manage people one at a time. He is the man who can manage the President Elect. He is the person best equipped to wrangle the loose cannon that is Donald Trump and employ sound and effective strategy without igniting a crisis. He can keep America safe…from our enemies and our President.
Senator Kristin Gillibrand (D-NY) is opposed to Gen. Mattis. She has served on the Armed Forces Sub-Committees for Strategies, Emerging Threats and Capabilities, and Airland. The reason she opposes Mattis is not clear as she only states that she prefers to keep “civilian control over our military.” She is referring to the waiver for Mattis to serve as he has only been retired from the military for three years. There is a required seven-year separation before serving in a civilian capacity. It is possible to allow a waiver, as was done for General Colin Powell, but Gillibrand is not willing to vote for that.
Regardless of Gillibrand’s reluctance, at this point it appears that many will welcome Mattis’ nomination, including Senator John McCain (R-AZ) who is definitely a hawk and an accepted authority on military matters. There will, of course, be many on the left that object to Mattis’ because of his statements on killing, and shooting people and, you know, WAR. I hope folks realize that death happens in war. And that someone has to do the shooting and bombing. I also hope that folks realize that military men can take a great deal of satisfaction in killing someone who is so despicable and so hell-bent on destroying our way of life that they find it validating. After all, as a soldier and warrior, it is their job. And there is no shame in someone like Mad Dog for whom war is a profession. But so is the eventual objective of war. Peace. This man has dedicated his life to understanding, practicing and implementing one thing. Keeping you, the American people, safe from all enemies. He, of all Trump’s choices thus far, is the single most sensible, reasonable and safest bet we have. Against all adversaries. Foreign and DOMESTIC…if you catch my drift. ?